People tend to get apprehensive, anxious, even panicked when they decide to schedule a family portrait session. Sadly, many people chose not to document their lives, and milestones, because of the stress they feel it will bring. This is a decision that they will undoubtedly regret, when the kids have grown, and the time has passed.
We are here to tell you that planning, preparing, and the entire portrait experience can actually be enjoyable, and a whole lot of fun. We’ve been in this industry for 25 years now, here are 5 simple tips to take family portraits from stressful to successful!
1. Keep it SIMPLE : Clothing should be simple, no bold patterns or bright colors. Medium tones, such as shades of gray, blue, or beige are great choices. You can add accessories, such as hats, scarves, jackets, or, necklaces to make the wardrobe more unique.
2. Consider your home Decor: Your family portrait is a piece of artwork that you will proudly display in your home. Clothing choices that compliment your style, and color palette are ideal. Will you be hanging this portrait in a room that is formal with ornate decorations? Or will this portrait lovingly adorn the walls of your intimate living room that is very casual? Answering these questions will help you decide how to dress for your portrait.
3. No Coaching: Refrain from trying to prepare the kids with specific instructions for the portrait session. Our experience has taught us that kids who received, ‘smile coaching’ from loving parents prior to the session, don’t do as well as those who just show up, and go with the flow.
4. Give Yourself TIME: Allow plenty of time to prepare on theday of the session. Unnecessary stress prior to the session affects the entire mood of the family, and in turn, the feel of the portrait.
5. Unplug: Leave cell phones and tablets in the car. Sessions are only one hour. It is a great time to connect, reflect, and be present with your family.
Family Portraits can be an exciting, and fun experience. Step back and consider how precious capturing this moment, forever in time, truly is. Choose to make it enjoyable for yourself, and your family. Set the intention when you book to fully enjoy the process of documenting your legacy. That’s a choice you certainly won’t regret.